MKV format significantly provides richer and more convenient media experience unlike any other current format available in the market today. However, When you playing a MKV file you wanna watch on your MacBook or iMac. You click on it, trying to open with default player QuickTime, but end up with an error message “There is no application set to open mkv”. In other cases, when uploading MKV files to YouTube or Facebook, you encounter a heavy Waterloo, again.
Why could these be? Mainly because MKV is incompatible with majority of the modern mobile devices and platforms, alongside with its comparatively large file size. To make MKV playable on most devices and platforms, you need to convert MKV to MP4 since MP4, also a container format, keeps quite a good balance between high quality and file size.
So, You can consider features, formats, containers and codecs in order to help you maximize your video expereince using your Mac computer. The following are the top 5 MKV converters you can use for your Mac while taking advantage of affordable and reliable file formats for an ultimate media experience:
Part I: Best Software to Convert MKV to MP4, AVI, etc. on Mac OS Sierra
Although there are some free video converter, For an easy to use MKV video converter, Pavtube iMedia Converter for Mac deserves you try. It can do the MKV file conversion like a charm, without any hassle. It can help you convert MKV file like MPG, MPEG, MPEG 2, VOB, DAT, MP4, M4V, TiVo, WMV, ASF, MKV and AVI to other video formats. In addition, This Mac MKV video converter also provides magical functions of editing, including merge, trim, crop, watermark. What makes it excels is that It provides you with the optimized output video settings for iPad, iPhone, Apple TV and many mobile phones. One click to convert MKV to be iDevice compatible. Here is the review.
More Features About Best MKV Converters for Mac OS Sierra:
- Convert MKV video files to any popular video and audio formats
- Convert MKV to MP4 without any quality loss.
- Special program optimization offers you high conversion speed With 30x Times.
- Ability to convert MKV to iPhone 7 (Plus)/SE/6s (Plus)/6 (Plus)/5s/5c/5/4s/4/3GS, iPad Pro/3/2/mini/air, iPod touch, Android phones and other devices support MP4 format directly.
- Allows you to customize and edit your MKV videos before converting to MP4 format.
- Pavtube is able to convert between most video formats, including MP4, MKV, AVI, MTS/M2TS, MOV, etc.
- Fully compatible with macOS Sierra, 10.11 El Capitan, 10.10 Yosemite, 10.9 Mavericks, 10.8 Mountain Lion, 10.7 Lion and 10.6 Snow Leopard.
- For Windows users, you can turn to Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate for Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista users.
Editor Reviews & User Testimonials:
- With this MKV Video Converter for Mac, I can fully enjoy the MKV movies on my PSP. Very nice. -Maxwell
- Such special Mac MKV Converter can convert MKV videos withou losing the original qulity. With it, I can appreciate MKV movies on my PSP in the spare time. -Gabriel
- Useful software! Thanks for your sharing! – Kathy
Why Pick Pavtube iMedia Converter for Mac out of so many video converter for Mac freeware?
- Safety first! Unlike other free Mac video converters, Pavtube is not bundled with any suspicious plugins nor toolbar.
- Unique! The only free Mac video converter supporting 4K, 1080p MKV, M2TS, AVCHD and BDAV.
- Unique! Built with High Quality Engine and De-interlacing Engine to optimize image quality maximally.
- Better still, our free Mac video converter helps add external subtitles and make slideshow without extra fee!
- Support diversified V/A editing by merging, croping, trimming & adjusting parameters to control output size & quality.
- Pavtube iMedia Converter for Mac is versatile yet quite easy to use. You’ll like it after trying!
Free Download Top Mac OS Sierra MKV Converter:
Part II: Other Top 4 MKV Converter For Mac OS Sierra/El Capitan/Yosemite
2. Handbrake 1.0.0 – this is a free converter for Mac users and provides an open-source, cross platform video converter specifically designed for Mac computers. This free media conversion platform for video files is also adjustable and can help create better resolution, frame rate, bit rate, and many more. The advantages of using this converter include free, fast and high quality video conversion. However, there are a few disadvantages like limited supported formats, unstable sometimes, and not supported for Mac’s El Capitan.
3. iMedia Converter Deluxe – Mac users can take advantage of this converter since it helps in converting videos to another format in just a few clicks. All you need to do is download the video, edit it, set the output format or location, convert the file, and share it. It continuously adds new formats in order to ensure quality video conversion for Mac users. The advantages include simple conversion process and downloading of videos and burn them into DVD format. When it comes to disadvantages, there’s not much customization for DVD burning menu template.
4. Winx HD Video Converter – for Mac users out there, this is another good option when it comes to converting videos to another file format. This is comprehensively featured with HD video quality conversion to provide Mac users with stress-free video conversion methods. It can convert Blu-ray, 4k UHD, HDTV/HD camcorders, MKV, MPEG, and other video file formats for easy viewing. The advantage of using this is that it supports multiple formats, easy to use interface, good quality and fast speed. The disadvantage is that it costs very expensive and is complicated when editing files.
5. MacX Video Converter Pro – is an easy to understand and simple video converter for all different types of Mac computers. With this video converter, you can convert AVI in MOV, FLV in MP4, MKV in AVI, MTS in MPEG, and much more because it enables the changing of various formats to different ones on Mac OS X El Capitan. It makes no difference if it is HD or SD video. Another good trait of this video converter is that it can download videos from different sources, such as YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, Instagram, Dailymotion, Metacafe, and Vevo, as well as from any other of over three hundred different sites that share videos. After you download a video on your Mac computer, you can optimize it to any iOS device, such as your iPhone 7,iPad Pro, iPad Mini 4/Air 3, and iPod Touch, as well as some android devices, such as the Samsung Galaxy Note, Kindle Fire HD, etc.
Part III: Steps Guide: Show You how to Convert MKV to MP4/AVI/MOV on Mac OS Sierra
Step 1. Import MKV files.
Download and launch this Mac video converter on your Mac OS X El Capitan, and click “File” to import the MKV file you want to convert and play with your media player. The preview window on main UI also allows you to watch the imported MKV video.
Step 2. Choose the proper output format
Check the file formats that QuickTime natively supports, select QuickTime compatible format such as “Common Video” > “MOV – QuickTime(*.mov)” to output. Or click the format bar to choose a proper output format. MP4 is highly recommended.
Tip: If you want to do some simple processing on your iMovie video, like trimming the video footage. You can press on “Edit” on the top menu. Here,you can trim video footage, crop unwanted area and even add subtitles.
Step 3. Start converting MKV videos
Just one click on the “Convert” button to start MKV conversion. After conversion, your media player can open and play the converted MKV video smoothly.
Tips: How to Play MKV files on Mac OS Sierra
To watch MKV video on Mac, I recommend trying either MPlayer OS X or VLC Media Player. They are both free. These free multimedia players are excellent and can tackle many of the video formats unknown to QuickTime. They contain a decoder to decode the MKV files. They will also play many of the formats you will find inside the .MKV file.