Why people need to digitize Blu-ray movies?
– The physical Blu-ray disc occupy too much space of your room
– As a physical media, Blu-ray disc are prone to damage or lose
– Some Blu-ray disc may not be available to buy from online store such as iTunes
– Blu-ray movies usually have heave copy protection, you may find that you can only watch those Blu-ray disc on your HD TV with the help of a Blu-ray player but have no luck to view them on your DVD player, smartphone, tablets, game consoles, more, etc
How to digitize Blu-ray movies?
Is it legal to remove Blu-ray copy protection?
Copyright law get kind of hazy on the subject, but you’re generally OK making digital copies of movies you own, for your personal use.
Things you will need to digitize Blu-ray movies
An external Blu-ray drive
You’ll need a Blu-Ray reader in order to rip your Blu-Ray discs (obviously). Fortunately, you can get them online for less than $60.
Blu-ray digitizing tool
Digitize Blu-ray with MakeMKV + Handrake
With MakeMKV, you can rip your Blu-rays to a large MKV file. Although the MakeMKV offers a a free beta that works for 30 days, but that’s a little misleading. Every month, you can either download the latest version of the beta or activate the application using the latest beta key in the forums. This effectively extends the trial period indefinitely.
Since MakeMKV will only rip your Blu-Ray movie exactly as it is on the disc, which can be over 20 or 30GB in size. So, we’ll use Handbrake to compress your MKV files to something a little more manageable, without losing much quality. It’s not strictly necessary, but it’s a waste of resources to store, play, and stream huge video files if you don’t need to.
Convert Blu-ray to digital format with Pavtube ByteCopy
It would be a great hassle for you to download one application to bypass the Blu-ray copy protection and another application to perform the Blu-ray to digital format conversion process. If you are looking for a combo function application to get the job completed, we highly recommend Pavtube ByteCopy to you.
The program is equipped with a powerful built-in disc decrypter to assist you to powerfully bypass all Blu-ray copy protection including AACS, BD+, Cinavia, UOP, DRM, BD-ROM Mark and High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection, etc in the background. The biggest merits of this program is that you can directly perform the Blu-ray digitizing process on the same interface. As for the digital file formats, there are various options you can choose from to satisfy your different needs:
– 1:1 full disc copy of Blu-ray movies with original file structure
– Fast main Blu-ray movie copy without unwanted comments, ads, trailers, etc
– Lossless multi-track MKV copy from Blu-ray with all the subtitle languages and audio tracks
– Rip Blu-ray to various popular file formats and device preset profile formats
Apart from the basic Blu-ray to digital format copying process, the program also offers some beneficial features to get a better movie enjoying experience:
– Select desired subtitle languages and audio tracks from internal Blu-ray movies
– Enable forced subtitles to disable the traditional subtitles while still preserving the subtitles that translate foreign language speaking parts.
– Add external subtitles to Blu-ray movies.
– Edit Blu-ray movies by trimming, cropping, merging, splitting, watermarking, deinterlacing, flipping, apply special rendering effect, change video picture effect, remove/replace audio in video, etc.
– Adjust output profile parameters such as video codec, resolution, bit rate, frame rate, audio codec, bitrate, sample rate, and channels to get better output video and audio quality.
– Available on both Windows and Mac platform (get Mac version).
Step by Step to Digitize Blu-ray Movies in Different Ways
Step 1: Load Blu-ray disc into the program.
Run the program on your computer, insert the Blu-ray disc into an external Blu-ray drive. Click “File” > “Load from disc” to load Blu-ray disc into the program. Apart from Blu-ray disc, you can also use the program to rip Blu-ray folder and ISO image file.
Step 2: Digitize Blu-ray collection in different ways.
Full disc copy
Make a full disc copy by hitting the icon on the top tool bar of the main interface.
Main movie copy
From “Format” bar, select “Copy” > “Direct Copy” to copy the main movie of the Blu-ray/DVD disc.
Output Blu-ray to digital file formats or device preset profile formats
From “Format” bar drop-down list, select one of your desired file formats or device preset profile formats according to your own needs.
Step 3: Start Blu-ray to digital format conversion process.
After finishing all the settings, go back to the main interface, press the right-bottom “Convert” button to start digitize Blu-ray to your desired file formats.
When the conversion is completed, click “Open output folder”, a window will pop out with all your converted files. Then you can get a digital copy from Blu-ray movies for safe backup, convenient devices and applications playback.